1. Varez, Dietrich, Maui, the Mischief Maker, Bishop Museum Press, Honolulu, 1991.
2. Lewis, David, We the Navigators, the Ancient Art of Landfinding in the Pacific, University of Hawai‘i Press, Honolulu, 1972.
3. Chauvin, Michael, “Useful and Conceptual Astronomy in Ancient Hawai`i”, in Astronomy Across Cultures, H. Selin, ed., Kluwer Academic Publishers.
4. Johnson, Rubellite Kawena, and John Kaipo Mahelona, Na Inoa Hoku – a Catalog of Hawai‘i and Pacific Star Names, Topgallant Publishing Company, Honolulu, 1975.
5. Chauvin, Michael E., Astronomy in the Sandwich Islands: The 1874 Transit of Venus, The Hawaiian Journal of History, Volume 27, 1993.
6. Armstrong, William M., Around the World with a King, Frederick A. Stokes Company, New York, 1903.
7. Stars Over Hawaii by E. H. Bryan, Jr., was first published in 1955 by a company called BOOKS ABOUT HAWAII, but is long since out of print. A somewhat revised version was reprinted by The Petroglyph Press of Hilo, Hawaii, in 1977. Recently (September 2002) The Petroglyph Press (160 Kamehameha Avenue, Hilo, Hawaii 96720) has published a new version of Stars Over Hawaii, updated by Dr. Richard Crowe, Professor of Astronomy at UH-Hilo, and with my contribution.
(8) Evans, J. W., Journal of the Optical Society of America, Volume 38, No. 12, 1948 (pdf version here)
9. Steiger, Walter R. and John W. Little, “On the Feasibility of a Solar Observatory in the Hawaiian Islands”, Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, Volume 70, No. 417, December, 1958.
10. Steiger, Walter R., and Warwick, James W., “Observations of Cosmic Radio Noise at 18 Mc/s in Hawai`i,” Journal of Geophysical Research, Volume 66, No. 1, 1961.
11. Miller, John, ed, Mauna Loa Observatory – a 20th Anniversary Report, U.S. Department of Commerce, September 1978.
Kiess, C.C., C.H. Corliss 1957, High Dispersion Spectra of Mars, Astrophys. J., 126: 579-584)
13. Weinberg, J. L., and Mann, H. M., “A Program of Ground Based Studies of the Zodiacal Light”, in NASA SP-150, Proceedings of a Symposium on the Zodiacal Light and the Interplanetary Medium, held at the East-West Center, University of Hawai`i, 1967.
14. Steiger, Walter R., Low Latitude Observations of the Airglow, in Aurora and Airglow, Proceedings of the NATO Advanced Study Institute, B. M. McCormick, ed, held at the University of Keele, Stratfordshire, England, 1966, Reinhold Publishing Corporation, 1967.
15. Brown, Walter E., “The Dynamical Behavior of the Nighttime F-Layer at Hawai`i,” Ph.D. dissertation, University of Hawai‘i, 1969. University Microfilms 69-16,649.
16. Krisciunas, Kevin, Astronomical Centers of the World, pp. 222-231, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1988.
17. Parker, Barry, Stairway to the Stars, Plenum Press, New York and London, 1994.
18. Kyselka, Will, An Ocean in Mind, University of Hawaii Press, 1987
19. Reber, Grote, Radio Interferometry at three kilometers
altitude above the Pacific Ocean, J. Geophysical Research,
64, 287, 1959.