Why Support the IfA?
The 2010 IfA Calendar has a stunning image of the 2009 total solar eclipse taken from Enewetak Atoll. If you made a donation to the IfA in 2009, you may come to the IfA Director's Office in Manoa to pick up your copy. Calendar design by Karen Teramura.
The Institute for Astronomy is internationally known for outstanding faculty and graduate students, cutting-edge research and instrument development, and its unique access to Mauna Kea and Haleakala. These qualities keep UH ranked among the top three universities doing astronomy research, and enable IfA astronomers to bring in $25 million annually in federal research funds--three times our state funding. The future is even brighter, with the Advanced Technology Solar Telescope, Pan-STARRS, and the Thirty Meter Telescope coming to Hawaii in the next decade.
Although the IfA faculty bring in research grants worth millions of dollars, the funding agencies are very specific about what they will and will not fund. Donations received by the IfA that are not restricted by the donor go into the IfA Advancement Fund. These funds help support many areas, including education, public outreach, and research. Your support provides resources that would otherwise be unavailable. This year, contributions have been used for
- K-12 science education, teacher training, and student research projects in our local schools.
- Cutting-edge scientific equipment for UH undergraduate astronomy courses.
- Recruiting and retaining IfA's excellent graduate students.
- Public outreach and education to share IfA's groundbreaking research with the local community through programs such as public lectures, open houses on Oahu and Maui, and AstroDay in Hilo.
- World-class research projects at the frontiers of astronomy.
- Enabling faculty to share their research findings at conferences, which is essential for continued recognition of the Institute's efforts.
Within the next few weeks, many of you will receive a letter asking you to continue your support of the IfA. We hope you will give generously. If you have never made a gift to the IfA, we invite you to do so by going to the webpage below. Your gift will help us continue to achieve international excellence.
Donations to the IfA can be made online at http://www.uhf.hawaii.edu/IfAnews/. Checks can be made out to the University of Hawaii Foundation (with "Institute for Astronomy" written on the memo line), and mailed to UHF, P.O. Box 11270, Honolulu, HI 96828-0270.